First rehearsals for this years’ edition of the L-Għanja tal-Poplu competition took place within the Sir Temi Żammit Hall on Thursday evening amidst tension surroundings noting that the University of Malta campus was going through council elections but nevertheless, the stage is seemingly set for another stunning showcase tomorrow night. The themes for this years’ competing songs are extremely varied but it has to be noted that there are a couple of similarities in themes such as marriage and corruption for example. We do not intend to release any details of the genres or the performances themselves because the show will eventually be shown on television at a later date but we can indeed promise you that there will surely be a couple to your liking.
During the past weekend, Sir Temi Żammit Hall was filled with laughter as the Student’s Fest took place under the hospice of the University of Malta Council. This weekend, it will be quite different with live music and original songs in Maltese taking centre stage. It is important to note that this years’ quality is very much in the range of the previous year and given the mixture between newcomers and established performers, one could say that the first phase jury did a splendid job in their respective selection. They also noted that it was difficult to let some of the songs go especially because they felt like they had a special something in either the lyrics, the music or the vocals of a particular individual.
01. Il-Gwardjan – Indri Attard (Kevin Tanti, Chan Vella)
02. Anġli Bla Ġwenħajn – Romina Mamo (Deo Grech, Heathcliff Balzan)
03. Ibni – Teddie Zammit (Paul Attard, Teddie Zammit)
04. Għal Dejjem – Marie Claire Attard Bason (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Mark Scicluna)
05. Bikja Mid-Deżert – Leanne Attard (Sylvia Caruana, Dario Bezzina)
06. Bit-Tof… Ma Tofx…? – Ta’ Verna ( Rita Pace, George Bonello)
07. Nammetti Li Ma Naf Xejn – Mistura (Antonio Olivari)
08. Is-Sajjied Tax-Xatt Tax-Xlokk – Alwyn Borg Myatt (Alwyn Borg Myatt, Conrad Briffa)
09. Virtwali – Estelle Fenech Imbroll (Paul Attard, Mark Scicluna)
10. It-Tweġiba – Corazon (Corazon Mizzi)
11. Kuluri, Lwien – X-Tend (Charles Dalli)
12. Taħnina – Fiona Camilleri (Robert Carbonaro)
13. Il-Maltin Bil-Politka Medhijin – Justin Galea u Banda Briganti (Keith Muscat, Sylvan Borg)
14. Tinsinix – Maria Debono (Rita Pace)
15. Grajja ta’ Kull Żmien – Corinne Caruana (Christopher Azzopardi, Maria Azzopardi)
16. Id-Dar Għal Bejgħ – Charles Dalli (Pawlu Zammit, Charles Dalli)
17. Hawn Siġġu Nieqes – Cherise Attard (Paul Ellul, Mark Spiteri Lucas)
18. Signor Si – Dorothy Muscat (Joe Julian Farrugia, Sammy Galea)
19. Pupazz – Rita Pace (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Rita Pace)
There will be a number of multiple winners tomorrow night considering that apart from the top three placings which will see to performances abroad, there will also be special award given to the Best Social Theme. The opening act for the evening will be none other than last years’ winning group, Kultural with the interval act set to be conducted by Alegria, a dancing troupe known for their flamenco genre. The hosting duties have been allocated to Frank O’Neill, a former participant and Valerie Vella, known for hosting the Malta Eurovision Song Contest on three occasions and you may all attend by purchasing your tickets here. We would like to wish all of the participants the very best of luck, especially to the escflashmalta.com Head of Digital Media and Head of Press, Emil Calleja Bayliss who is the lyricist behind two entries this year.