In previous years, the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza was a hub for newfound talent, with the winning circle going onto achieve more success in the near future. This was not the case in recent years with established acts and former Eurovision Song Contest representatives; Mike Spiteri and Fabrizio Faniello amongst the last four acts to have won the local music competition.
In 2014 though, it seems that originality and talent played a major role in the jury choice with two of the three artists to rank in the top three, making their official debut in the ‘Talent Stabbilit’ portion of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza. Earlier this morning, the Official Facebook Page of the prestigious music competition made the full ranking along with the points given, public. The jury comprised of; Manuel Aquilina, Steve Aquilina, Ivan Borg, Amber and Mike Spiteri.
2. Ġabuna Indipendenti – Marilena (Philip Vella / Joe Chircop) – 369 points
3. Ħolma ta’ Nazzjon – Cherylis Camilleri (Mark Debono / Rita Pace) – 362 points
5. Mara – Domenique (Philip Vella / Paul Ellul) – 355 points
8. Kuntenta Kif Jien – Ann Marie Ellul (Rita Pace) – 295 points
9. Nemmen fil-Futur – Mattei Curmi (Philip Vella / Cher Vella) – 294 points
10. Nisġa – Josepha Cumbo (Minik / Emil Calleja Bayliss) – 277 points
11. Aħjar – Simone Gauci (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Rita Pace) – 277 points
12. Tħobbni Kif Jien – Phylisienne (Philip Vella / Chris Azzopardi) – 265 points
13. Naħfirlek – Franz Bezzina (Augusto Cardinali) – 261 points
14. Fuq dil-Blata – Roseann Cordina (Minik / Paul Ellul) – 260 points
15. Destin – Danica Muscat (Philip Vella) – 258 points
16. Tfajla – Donna (Ray Agius / Paul Ellul) – 252 points
17. Hemm Int – Valentina Farrugia (Roger Tirazona / Joe J Farrugia) – 245 points
18. Daqs Xulxin – Charlene Cardona (Minik / Joe Chircop) – 243 points
19. Ġrajjiet – Michela Dalli (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino) – 234 points
20. Passaġġ – Kurt Galea (Clinton Paul) – 235 points
21. Int u Jien – Maria Cassar (Minik / Rita Pace) – 216 points
22. Ibqa’ Ħdejja – Ina Robinich (Minik / Deo Grech) – 193 points
23. Ngħidulek Grazzi – Christian Azzopardi (Minik / Stephen Baldacchino) – 184 points
Michela Galea, one of the youngest participants in this year’s edition of the Konkors Kanzunetta Indipendenza joins a prestigious list of previous winners, some of which made the transition into the local music scene relatively quickly after their success. The most recent being none other than Amber, a four time participant in the Malta Eurovision Song Contest and also backing vocalist of “This Is The Night” at the 2012 edition of the Eurovision Song Contest.
The winning entry of the public vote last night was “Tħobbni Kif Jien” composed by Philip Vella to the lyrics of Christopher Azzopardi whilst the triumphant act from the upcoming category was Kurt Cassar and his entry “Inservi” composed by Gillian Attard and Elton Zarb to the lyrics of Emil Calleja Bayliss. We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news from the local music scene.