Tonight, the biggest music festival in the country will take place – with the aim of choosing Malta’s 31st entry to the Eurovision Song Contest. Over the course of the last quarter of 2017, the one hundred and twenty nine songs submitted for the competition were whittled down to just sixteen – which will all be performed live tonight from the Malta Fairs and Convention Centre in Ta’ Qali.
The show will begin at 21:00 and will be broadcast live on TVM / TVM HD. The compère of this year’s show will be Colin Fitz. Opening this year’s show will be last year’s winner, Claudia Faniello – who will reprise her winning song from last year, “Breathlessly”. The sixteen acts taking part in this year’s festival will take to the stage in the following order as seen below; in addition, they will be seen in postcards before their performances at various local heritage sites across the island.
1. AIDAN – “Dai Laga” (Aidan Cassar)
2. Miriana Conte – “Rocket” (Cyprian Cassar, Muxu)
3. Jasmine Abela – “Supernovas” (Charlie Mason, Jonas Thander)
4. Matthew Anthony – “Call 2morrow” (Jonas Gladnikoff, Tom Wiklund, Peder Eriksson)
5. Danica Muscat – “One Step at a Time” (John Ballard, Ruth Mussie, Jerusalem Yemane, Irena Krstva, Kian Fakhary)
6. Dwett – “Breaking Point” (Elton Zarb, Muxu)
7. Lawrence Gray – “Love Renegade” (Cyprian Cassar, Muxu)
8. Richard & Joe Micallef – “Song for Dad” (Cyprian Cassar, Richard Micallef)
9. Tiziana Calleja – “First Time” (Tina Stenberg)
10. Eleanor Cassar – “Back to Life” (Jonas Gladnikoff, Michael James Down)
11. Rhiannon – “Beyond Blue Horizons” (Rhiannon Micallef, Cyprian Cassar)
12. Brooke – “Heart of Gold” (Borislav Milanov, Dag Lundberg, Niklas Lif, Brooke Borg)
13. Christabelle – “Taboo” (Johnny Sanchez, Thomas G:son, Christabelle Borg, Muxu)
14. Deborah C – “Turn It Up” (Christian Schneider, Aidan O’Connor, Sara Biglert, Erik Grönwall)
15. Avenue Sky – “We Can Run” (Jonas Gladnikoff, Matthew Ker, Glen Vella)
16. Petra – “Evolution” (Elton Zarb, Muxu)
Alongside the main attration of the festival, there will be a number of interval acts. Claudia Faniello will take to the stage during the voting with her band, whilst last year’s Maltese entrant at the Junior Eurovision Song Contest, Gianluca Cilia, will reprise his song “Dawra Tond”, followed by a brand new song in a similar style – “Wam Bam”. Performances by Analise Dance Company will also feature in the show throughout.
The result of this year’s contest will be determined by a jury and a televote, each having a 50% share in the result. The jury – whose names will be announced during the show, compromises of five members. The public will be able to vote by calling 5230 21XX (the last two numbers being the singers’ number in the running order). Only one vote per phone will be accepted.
In addition to the main show on TV, Public Broadcasting Services will also offer a backstage glimse to the proceedings online – TVM’s presenters will be live giving the immediate reactions of the participants backstage, whilst other cameras will offer views of what is happening behind the scenes. The “second screen” footage can be accessed at https://www.tvm.com.mt/mt/secondscreen/.
ESCFlashmalta would like to wish all of the performers tonight the best of luck.