Making a surprise return for 2018, Malta’s national selection this year’s Junior Eurovision Song Contest also includes the addition of original songs – for the first time in eight years. Budding artists aged between 8 and 14 from the island were invited to submit their original compositions earlier in the summer, whilst PBS enlisted the help of an expert jury to shortlist sixteen of them for a live show.
The national selection will take to our screens this Saturday (8th September) at 16:30 on TVM and TVM HD, live from the Where’s Everybody’s studios in Qormi. The host will be local TV presenter and actress, Taryn Mamo Cefai. PBS has released all of the finalists’ songs on their website, for listening before the show. Below you can see the full list of artists taking part in the competition – click their names to read more about them and hear their song.
01. Luana Schembri – “No Rest For The Wicked” (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Philip Vella, Luana Schembri)
02. Giorgia Borg – “10” (Muxu, Gillian Camenzuli Kerr)
03. Zaira Mifsud – “Shout Now” (Muxu, Cyprian Cassar)
04. Jahel Cardona – “Home” (Muxu, Cyprian Cassar)
05. Katryna & Rihana – “The Puppet and the Clown” (Christopher Azzopardi, Kaya, Katryna Borg, Rihana Azzopardi)
06. Isaac Tom – “Bonfire Nights” (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Dario Bezzina, Isaac Tom Spiteri)
07. Albert-Lauren – “Paper Boats” (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Cyprian Cassar, Albert-Lauren Agius)
08. Kristy Spiteri – “NANN” (Ritienne Frendo, Cyprian Cassar & Mark Scicluna)
09. Yarin Coleiro – “Can You Be the One” (Muxu, Cyprian Cassar)
10. Lora Grech – “Finish Line” (Muxu, Elton Zarb)
11. Riona Degiorgio – “Infinity” (Muxu, Dominic Cini)
12. Kylie Meilak – “Crystals” (Muxu, Elton Zarb)
13. Eliana Gomez Blanco – “Music Takes Control” (Muxu, Cyprian Cassar)
14. Aiden Aquilina Cohen – “Wherever You Go” (Muxu, Cyprian Cassar)
15. Ela Mangion – “Marchin’ on” (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Cyprian Cassar, Ela Mangion)
16. Thea Aquilina – “Back To My Freedom” (Bruce Robert Francis Smith, Ylva Persson, Linda Persson, Rickard Bondel Truumeel)
The outcome of the Malta Junior Eurovision Song Contest will be decided by a public televote and an expert jury, each having an equal say in the result. The public can vote once all of the songs have been performed, by calling the number 523021XX (the last two numbers being the songs’ number in the running order). Only one vote from each line will be registered. The winner will fly to the capital of Minsk, Belarus, to represent the country in the international final of the competition on November 25th – competing against 19 other countries in the biggest edition of the Junior Eurovision Song Contest yet.
In last year’s event, Malta was represented by Gianluca Cilia with the song “Dawra Tond” – composed by Dominic Cini and penned by Emil Calleja Bayliss. The 10 year old placed in 9th position overall, whilst obtaining 2nd place in the public vote. We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news about the 2018 Malta Junior Eurovision Song Contest, and subsequent Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2018. He will also perform as a special guest during the show, after all of the sixteen competing songs have been performed.
Source: ESCflashmalta.com, Public Broadcasting Services, BTRC (Image)