Singer-songwriter Marilyn Aquilina has won this year’s edition of the prestigious L-Għanja tal-Poplu. Her song “Jien U Int” (Me and You) was determined the best of the final sixteen songs in a special TV programme broadcast on Friday, September 11th.
Fronted by siblings and singers Gianluca and Dorothy Bezzina, the 2020 edition of the festival was broadcast specifically for TV in light of the current situation. The participating songs of this year’s festival were presented by the means of individual videoclips, filmed by PBS around Valletta, Birgu and the Grand Harbour area.
Rita Pace’s “Sant’ Antnin” was declared runner up of the festival, whilst “Sakemm Sibt Garaxx” performed by Sarah Micallef Muscat placed in third. Alongside the top 3, a number of other awards were presented. Kemmuna Airways were awarded the ‘Best Interpretation’ award, “Normalità Gdida” by Mark Cachia/Jamm Band was awarded ‘Best Social Theme’ and Jean Claude Vancell was given the ‘Best Singer/Songwriter’ award for “F’Dirgħajk”.
Studio versions of this year’s songs can be heard here, whilst all of the clips from this year’s show can be viewed in the order of their appearance through the links below:
- Charisse Ann Vassallo – Ftakru (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Mark Scicluna)
- Charlene Mercieca Magro – Il-Passat Mhux Garanzija tal-Futur (Rita Pace)
- Catriona Brincat u Mario Debono – Il-Fqir (Mario Debono)
- Rachel Lowell – Professuri (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Rachel Lowell, Philip Vella)
- Amber Grace – Minn Taħt l-Ilsien (Rita Pace, Marco Debono)
- Natalie Naudi – Mobile (Natalie Naudi)
- Christabelle Scerri – Missier Aħfrilhom (Rita Pace, Augusto Cardinali)
- Jamm Band – Normalità Ġdida (Mark Cachia)
- Marilyn Aquilina – Jien u Int (Marilyn Aquilina)
- Rita Pace – Sant’Antnin (Rita Pace)
- Jean Claude Vancell – F’Dirgħajk (Jean Claude Vancell)
- Sarah Micallef Muscat – Sakemm Sibt Garaxx (Frederick Camilleri, Augusto Cardinali)
- Ruth Portelli – Fittixtek (Emil Calleja Bayliss, Mark Scicluna)
- Amber Marie Coleiro – Mediterran (Joe Julian Farrugia, Andrew Zammit)
- Kayley Cuschieri – Anġli Żgħar (Joe Julian Farrugia, Philip Vella)
- Kemmuna Airways – Ħass u Basal (Rita Pace)
The jury of the 2020 edition included Albert Friggieri, Alfred C. Sant, Alex Vella Gregory, Nadine Axisa, Mario Vella, Mariele Zammit and Dr. Toni Sant. The chairperson of the jury was multiple L-Għanja tal-Poplu winner, and veteran singer/songwriter Profs Manwel Mifsud. The special guest of the show was last year’s winner Philip Vella, who presented his new album “60+” along with lead single “Ġenna u Infern”.
L-Għanja tal-Poplu is being organised annually with the help and support of the Arts Council Malta – Cultural Partnership Agreement and the Valletta Cultural Agency.