On the 7th July, a truly hot summer’s evening, 18 credible performers took to the stage of Pjazza Teatru Rjal as participants of “L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Festival tal-Kanzunetta Maltija”. This year, under a different light and perspective was the fact that 17 of the 18 songs were accompanied by the PBS Orchestra under the direction of Mro Joe Brown and the co-ordination of Mro Paul Abela.
The result was exceptional, and here’s to hoping that the festival will continue to grow in the same manner in the years to come. The participants knew that at the end of the evening, their fate rested completely on the weight of five professional jury members, who aim was to reduce the field by 6. Their selection was made, and 12 acts have now been chosen to compete in the final.
01. Ta’ Billejl (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Paul Ellul) - Neville Refalo
02. Ħallejt il-Passi Wrajk (Glen Vella / Paul Ellul) - Jurgen Xerri
03. Is-Sinjur (Mark Scicluna / Emil Calleja Bayliss) - Cherylis
04. Ħabta u Sabta (Mark Scicluna / Andy Muscat) - Andy Muscat
05. Mellisni (Mark Spiteri Lucas / Joe Chircop) - Mikaela Bajada
06. Pupa tal-Plastik (Marco Debono / Paul Ellul) - Domenique
07. Il-Biża u Jien (Pamela Bezzina / Rita Pace) - Nadine Fenech
08. Ngħidlek (Miriam Christine / Joe Julian Farrugia) - Miriam Christine
09. Id-Dieher (Augusto Cardinali) - Neville Refalo u Graziana Axisa
10. X’Se Jsir (Corazon Mizzi) - Corazon
11. Jien Biss (Dominic Cini / Joe Julian Farrugia) - Dorcas Debono
12. Xagħar Twil (Mark Laurence Zammit / Ingrid Vella) - Denise Spiteri
Hosted by Sean Buhagiar, and supported off stage by the comedic theatrics of Wayne Flask and Gilbert Camilleri, the evening was organized to extreme professionalism, even incorporating the special guests into the thematic use of Maltese, noting that the Gozitan band ‘The Travellers’ were on hand to provide the public with some of their original work.
Be sure to tune into TVM this Saturday 9th July for the grand final of “L-Għanja tal-Poplu – Festival tal-Kanzunetta Maltija”. We urge you to stay tuned to escflashmalta.com even through Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news about the local music scene as soon as it becomes available. We would like to wish all of the acts a very Good Luck!
Source: Press Release, Ghanjafest.com